Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with no modifications at

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with no modifications at all. I have 88,000 miles.
Info: I am a welder who travels often but always drove gas 6.0 trucks until recent. I sleep on the road often and need to idle the truck for long periods of time often. I want to go to the Dealer and have the truck flashed with the high-idle option (don't currently have it on the truck).
My Q: Once I have the high idle issue figured out can I run my truck all night if need be. At what RPM is suggested and if there is more to this than I am thinking about.
Either way I need a solution to this problem even if I have to buy something after market or whatever. I need to know what needs to take place to make this happen!
Thank you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the dealer can reprogram your computer to run this here I would recommend the lowest idle possible to save on fuel as it runs.I would also check into having a coolant circulation pump installed to pump coolant into the heater core while idling if you plan on running the heater while it is running and possibly look into making sure the radiator will stay cool with no over heat issues when this is ran.I would also check into a different way to vent the exhaust possibly an upward tail pipe system to prevent exhaust from entering the cab of the vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the information, but don't find this very useful to the direction of my question or what I was intending to get answered. I had intended for this question to reach a GM master mechanic and or a diesel specific mechanic. My concerns go well beyond a few simple suggestions that I am aware of. Thank you for your time and please allow my question to go back to the circulation.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete