Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have a 1995 Chev C1500 with a 4.3 and % speed manual

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Chev C1500 with a 4.3 and % speed manual trans. I was going down the freeway and It quit. replaced the fuel pump and still wouldn't start. Checked the fuel pump relay, is good. The ecm fuse was blown. Replaced the 20 amp fuse and it started. Ran for nearly an hour. Backed out of the shop fine. Going forward under load it dies. Tried replacing the fuse and it blows soon as I plug it in. Undid the negative battery cable, Installed the fuse and soon as I reconnect the neg. terminal the fuse blew again. Put a jumper wire on it and it ran fine. Thinking the oil pressure sender or a bad ground somewhere else. Thanks, John
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

ECM fuse feeds the pink wire that goes to a number of things under the hood, but most notably it goes to the fuel injectors.

It's common to find that this pink wire has rubbed through at the throttle body. Take the air cleaner off, pull these wires out of their slot on the throttle body, and just get a good hard look at the pink wires. With the harness pulled away, replaced the fuse and see if the problem is gone.

The blown fuse is caused by a short in this pink wire somewhere, and the throttle body is the heavy hitter here. It's not caused by a poor ground or the oil pressure sending unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the pink wires and have power when checked right at the throttle body. Don't see how to remove the connector at the throttle body. You say just pull on the wires to remove from throttle body?

The wires just pass through at the top of the throttle, where the air cleaner mounts. There's a rubber grommet there. Typically, we'd see just enough of a short circuit to blow the fuse, and usually occurs during acceleration or shifting, something that would cause the engine to rock just enough to make this circuit short against the throttle body. Pull that grommet out away from the throttle body, you'll see what I mean.