Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Shannon, im bret...my 98 1500 loses prime it seems after

Customer Question

hi shannon, im bret...my 98 1500 loses prime it seems after setting awhile
i have already changed the fuel pump, the filter , the ignition and fixed problem that was going on... now it wont start when it sets awhile
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

are you able to connect a good know fuel pressure gauge to the test port and see what the fuel pressure is key ON engine OFF ? and will it drop to 0 within a second or two ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has the right fuel psi . key off and key off is same psi as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

so when it sits and will not start from sitting the fuel pressure key ON engine OFF is @ 60 PSI and holding ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
psi at 60.
The ignition switch( passlock)
Mechanism was supposed to be the problem. It fixed it and ran OK then I washed engine after that it seemed to start not starting .sprayed map spray in breather .it started.
Also if I put gas in throttle body and leave breather top off it'll start , run a few seconds then die and won't start again
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you unplug the big injector connector on top of the fuel injector when the key is ON do 8 out of the 16 terminals in the connector you unplugged show 12 volts ?

if so then connect your test light clip up to a good 12 volts battery power and when cranking it over do the OTHER 8 when cranking it over blink your test light bulb ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Gary, I got called out...
Another thing I noticed with the performance when running is that it doesn't shift correctly. When I gas on it it dropps into lowest gear and winds out until I let off gas pedal to let it shift. And lugs in high gear .
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

see when it will not start

unplug the big injector connector on top of the fuel injector when the key is ON do 8 out of the 16 terminals in the connector you unplugged show 12 volts ?

also any codes set ? and assess to view live computer data with a scan tool ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I'm going to a friend's to see if it threw any code's in a couple of hours. Svc engine light on ..usually stays on.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

find out the codes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Threw code 0 2 sensors
2 are supposed to be out