Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Automotive. I had a bad cylinder on my chevy aveao 5 and

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Automotive. I had a bad slave cylinder on my chevy aveao 5 and replaced it. I bled the line to remove air and now have a clutch pedal that will not go down. if there was air in the line wouldn't it be a soft pedal?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

are you saying the clutch pedal itself wont go to the floor now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
t will not go to the floor. I can open the brass fitting on the slave cylinder, bleed it, and restart the process but it returns the same result--a stiff clutch pedal that does not go to the floor

tell me,will it go to the floor with the bleeder loose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with it open it will go to the floor

ok,,does the clutch release?does it work?

can you shift the gears with the engine running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to understand correctly, you want me to leave the valve open and depress the clutch and release it?

no

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to understand you correctly, you wanted me to open the bleeder, depress the clutch to the floor, and close it to prevent air intake. start the car and try shifting the gears?

no,i want to know if you can shift the transmission now,with the engine running and the clutch pressed as far as it gos

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

ok,,so,,the clutch isnt releasing at all,,correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, it is on the floor and will not come up unless pulled up. Once up, it will not go down

the pedal wont move at all?..this is strange

you push and it is just hard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pedal is hard and will not move

it sounds as if that new slave has some debries or somthing in it stopping the fluid from filling it to push the actuator

it does blow fluid out of the bleeder//right?,,

it did work before you replaced the slave,right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It blows fluid out of the bleeder, the piston moves by hand, when uninstalled. Don't know if it worked prior to install, New from store. The old one craked letting out brake fluid causing replacement

please explain..

you have never seen it work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a new slave cylinder from store, just installed. I can't say that it worked...the old one did right before it cracked causing me to replace

ok

if the old one worked,,there is no reason why this one shouldnt work if it is good

to me,from the way you explain,it sounds as if that new slave has a blockage

Clutch Pedal Hard to Push (Hydraulic

from the way you explain,,it sounds as if you may need to try another slave..if it isnt the slave,it must be the internal of the clutch release bearing or fork,i wouldnt think this sense it did work with the old one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I remove it and drain it

you could give draining it a try,,but to me it just sound as if it is bad

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/id0e2gmm7tuhid9/0930-aveo-Clutch%20Pedal%20Free%20Travel%20Adjustment.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/id0e2gmm7tuhid9/0930-aveo-Clutch%20Pedal%20Free%20Travel%20Adjustment.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. Must call it quits for tonight. Will post again tomorrow on thread.

ok..let me know how it gos

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one last question before i reattack this tomorrow after work, the piston of the slave valve, is it supposed to be under constant pressure from the lever that it is seated into? The lever seems to be wide open. i can send a pic tomorrow after noon

there should be no pressure on the slave unless the pedal is pressed..

it works just like your brake calipers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, thanks, ***** ***** pressure there. the piston from the slave cylinder is seated in the lever/fork but not under pressure. Just at a loss right now until i take it apart tomorrow.

sounds like the slave is clogged/damaged