Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My 04 Chevy Colorado keeps blowing the fan speed assembly

Customer Question

My 04 Chevy Colorado keeps blowing the fan speed assembly switch up behind the glove box. Then the fan only works on high or nothing. I've heard this is common....thanx...
*****@******.***
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

When you replaced that blower resistor, did you replace the wire harness also?

Where did you buy the part from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said ..I've replaced the resistor harness 3 times lasting 4 hours up to a week. NAPA part the longest.

You never mentioned that you replaced the harness 3 times.

You said you replaced the switch 3 times, which i think you meant to say the blower motor resistor(its not a switch though)??

So,,,what all exactly did you replace please?

If all you replaced was the resistor assembly, then you need to go to the dealer and buy a new resistor assembly AND the harness connector with wires coming out if it that you splice into the existing harness. It IS a very common problem and thats why the dealer will sell you both! NO parts store will tell you that!

The harness connector has poor contacts and they get hot and melt the resistor and the new harness connector corrects that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a small resistor harness replaced with 2 screws plugged in up behind the glove box. It's obvious it will keep blowing unless I solve the reason for it's continued failure. The guy that changes my oil says this problem is common..other guys just live with it..

did you replace BOTH parts #1 and #2 in the diagram below?

Click here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think just part # ***** plugged in with 2 screws

I think so also.

Part #1 is what is causing the problems. We have replaced hundreds of them with this exact same problem :-)

You can only buy that harness from a dealer though and you should buy the resistor assembly from them also.

We have went round and round with this problem for years and GM finally figured it out!

LJ

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge!

Most likely the leak is coming from the valve cover gasket and is quite a bit of labor involved to replace it. I have seen these leak for years without getting any worse so as long as you just check the oil every time you gas it up you will be fine for MANY more years! Very common and if it were mine i wouldnt worry about it for sure unless it started to leak a lot more but that is doubtful. You can just top it of, no need to change it unless its due.

LJ

Disregard that last [post. It was for another question :-)

Sorry