Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 1998 Chevrolet 2500 van that won't start I have

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Chevrolet 2500 van that won't start I have spark and fuel changed plugs because they were wet Maf reading is 2.4 with key on engine off I changed mad but no change in reading
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist youso,you do have a spark on the plugs?

will it fire with a prime?with starting fluid or a little fuel into the throttle body?

tell me how and when this problem first begin

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spark at plugs I did check more then one plugs I changed plugs because they were wet still no start. I tried starting fluid a d a little gas still no start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tps is at .5 closed throttle 99 at wide open throttle but MAF is at 2.4 with key on when I unplugged it it goes to 0 replaced MAF but no change in reading

ok

tell me how/when this problem first begin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday I parked the van with no problems today I tried starting it and it wouldn't start

ok

this sounds as if you have a somewhat common thing to happen to these votec engines

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I fix it

i would think your problem is the distributor cap,,these caps will jump a spark on the inside were they are wormed so the plug wires come out straight..

it will still have a spark but it is sparking at the wrong times.

i have also had many bad new caps right out of the box

i think you are lucky here,and it is an easy fix.

replace the distributor cap and rotor

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I will try cap and button in morning

i would think that will fix you..

the fat is,if it is in times.has a spark and compression,it should run with the prime..

i have seen many of these do this

thanks