Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Here is the problem got the car told batt bad. got new one

Customer Question

here is the problem got the car told batt bad. got new one ran did'nt charge got alt. changed it again ran did'nt charge. so thought what's in between the starter droped starter nut was missing replaced it same no charge. took starter back out went to parts store checked starter good so what is telling the alt not to charge the battery? hooked the starter back -up it wont disengauge when the car is running after 1 min starter buot 300 degrees still not charging batt.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Verify the alternator is getting power on the 2 wires from the battery. OHM test the ECM to alternator wires to verify they are not broken nor chaffed and grounding out. If those are good then your new alternator is not to blame, but the ECM is. Below is a wire color diagram.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/07impala.pdf

-------------------PLEASE READ THIS-----------------------

1. You have by now noticed you have been charged the question value for asking a question.

2. Please understand, often I have to post many questions (?) or answers to you, to help you with this concern.

3. Also understand I base my answer on what you write, I am not there to see, smell, touch, or hear.

4. Nor do I know what tools you have, or what skills you have unless you tell me.

5. I try my best to be online 365 days a year from 3pm-3am central time.

6. I'm helping you from my home. I do not work for or at Just Answer, nor do they pay me, the customer pays me.

7. I have no control over the time it took someone to first contact you, nor the fees, or emails you get.

8. I want you pleased with the website and me (EXCELLENT / 5 STARS). I would also like to be rated the same. You should see this on your screen.

9. If you rate me good I get paid from your deposit. If you rate bad I'm not paid, though rating bad does not result in a refund.

10. The rating is for me, only me. Rating does not close the post. Your not rating the website, that is done else where.

Thanks for coming here, and giving us and me a shot.

Chris also known as Moose

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
frist off i'am working on this car in my back yard. now if the starter wont diengauge then i dont think checking the alt . is in order until i figure why the starter wont disengauge! if i had ohm meters and test equipment i would have a shop try to understand i'am in my back yard!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did u read the question! how does ohm a cople wires stop the starter from engaugeing and not stopping?? this is no answer! this is blowing smoke!! now if u check the wire how is this going to fix any problem!! i'am exspecpting a answer to fix the problem not the next step.

I have not even gotten to the starter issue yet, I was first addressing the first concern you mentioned that the alternator is not charging. You will need a digital volt ohm meter. You can get one from Auto Zone for 29$. To diagnose electrical issues it is a must to have this tool. If you would prefer to drop diagnosing the alternator for now and move over to the starter staying engaged, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you did'nt give me a fix and i will file a complaint and ask for a refund.

Sorry you have decided to cease getting help.