Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I had 2 flowmaster super 40 mufflers installed on my 2001

Customer Question

I had 2 flowmaster super 40 mufflers installed on my 2001 chevrolet silverado 2500hd 8.1liter and first off, i was running no pipe after about 1 foot off the cat on dual exhaust, and they said it would still be relativaly loud but it is very quiet. also
the right side sounds not right like a spitt or cough like but it sounded like the muffler may have be flipped, so i take a look under and they have used 2 super 40 mufflers but inlets are different, 1 is center and 1 is offset but outlet on both is center.
also its 2.25" pipe. my Q's are will a different inlet muffler situation like mine be a problem and why is it so quite? i had hondas growing up that were extremely loud with just a tip or muffler so why is this happening and a possible fix? im looking at headers
now to put on and wondering what i should do about all this.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Your pipes aren't big enough.

And why did they fit two different mufflers?

Talk directly to Flowmaster.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=355&make=47&year=2001&model=494&submodel=430&engine=398&sk=1

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, i dont know why they did that but does it have any effect on the motor or back pressure that is or will soon be a problem? and the mufflers are 2.5 in and out so not 2.25 i typed it wrong. and is that still to small what would you recommend?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it shouldn't be a problem, but I would still have the same style on both banks.

It is way more important that they are facing in the correct direction.

Do you have a balance crossover pipe or "X-pipe" prior to the mufflers?

Where are the mufflers situated, under the front half, or in front of the rear axle?

Did you open the link I sent you?

It has a one piece 3.00 in/3.00 out twin muffler in the link for your vehicle, universal fit.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are at the back end of the cab right where the stock muffler would be and no x pipe before or after installation
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok, does the truck perform better than before the muffler change?

They said it would be loud, but you don't think it is?

What size are the tailpipes? Still 2.5 as well?

I probably would have had a twin 3.00 inch all the way.

I had a 6.6 turbo diesel a few weeks back that had a single 4.5 inch custom system turbo back.

Gary