Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2008 Silverado with a5.3l I'm having a problem with

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Silverado with a5.3l I'm having a problem with a misfire on cylinder 7 that occurs while at low speed or in traffic and this does not happen all the time I've already changed the coil and all of the spark plugs yet this still happens do you have any clue what may be causing this issue
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

this engine has cylinder deactivation feature ?

and it will only set a P0307 code ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does that mean and do you have any idea what it will take to correct it
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

does this engine have the feature when driving at speed that it will shut down cylinders to save fuel ?

it is called cylinder deactivation

when there is a specific cylinder misfiring and it has a new coil and spark plug and it still is doing this the issue comes down to an injector failure or a crank sensor or that cylinder loosing compression which if this engine has the deactivation option the issue we have seen is the lifters intermittently unlock when they should not or do not lock back up correctly which would cause an intermittent low compression in that cylinder which the lifters would need to be replaced to correct that issue

you can swap # ***** injector with # ***** and see if the misfire moves if it does the injector is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my engine does not have the deactivation feature so I will try the injector swap and see what that leads to are there any other possible things that might be causing this issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me any pointers on how to swap the injectors I have never done that and don't want to create any other issues
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the injector swap does not move the problem make sure the # ***** injector connector and the # ***** coil connections are clean and tight if they are make sure and grounds on the front of either cylinder head are clean and tight and any grounds on the back top side of the rear of the intake manifold

if those check out and the compression is good on # ***** cylinder then replace the crank sensor and have the crank sensor relearned with a scan tool

there is not much more to cause this problem

it is a matter of removing the 2 bolts on the drivers side fuel rail and pop up the rail with the 4 injectors for that bank and pop out the injectors and just swap them being careful the O-rings are all in place and none get lost or forgotten to be put back on

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !