Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My heat stop working so I checked all of the fuses under the

Customer Question

My heat stop working so I checked all of the fuses under the hood and in the back seat and the are all good. I replace the blower and resistor too. After doing all the checks and replacing the parts, my blower is still not working. What can be the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is this a manual heater ac controller or an automatic controller ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a multi meter on hand. And it is manual
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you be sure in the under hood fuse box the 40 amp fuse # ***** called blower is good and be sure in the rear fuse box fuse # ***** is also good ?

a test light ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have exchange different fuses within the fuse box and see if they were bad, but the blower still didn't work.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if those 2 fuses are good and it has a new blower motor and resistor then we have to be missing power or a ground causing this to not work

can you borrow a test light ?

we have seen everything from bad heater controllers to ignition switches and internal fuse boxes cause this problem and a few wire wiring issues

if you can barrow a test light we can nail this problem right down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to do it later on today because it is 0342 in the morning. Everyone is still sleeping. Once I do get a multi meter where should I start testing first?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

get to the resistor and with the truck ON and the blower set to HIGH see if the red and the orange wire terminals in the resistor connector show 12 volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I try that, I will let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sure thing

we will find out what is wrong

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked it. I don't have a digital multi meter. I do have power from the red and orange wire.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you unplug the blower motor connector and with the truck on and blower set to high does one wire terminal show 12 volts and the other a good ground in the connector you unplugged at the blower motor ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not getting any power from that cable that hooks up to the blower
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the orange and the red at the resistor show 12 volts and the connector is NOT melted or has and burnt terminals see if the black that does NOT go to the blower motor is a good ground at the resistor

if that ground is bad run a new ground to that black wire

if the ground is good with the 2 powers and a ground then the connector at the resistor is bad or the resistor is defective

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not to familar. Can you tell me where I can find the ground
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you need to test and see if the black wire terminal in the connector at the resistor shows a good ground

not the black wire going to the blower motor but the other one to test at the resistor connector

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tested the black wire and I see that it is getting power. I have tried look at the wire diagram and I can't figure out what is going on. I have determined that the wires going to the resistor is bad or my switch is bad. This is getting a little difficult I might have to give in and take it to a mechanic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have figured out what had cause this. My thermostat went out on my car and my car was running high so I turned up the heat in my car while taking it to a mechanic. I think something somewhere burned out I just can't find it
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the black shows 12 volts at the resistor ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know why. I get power on the red, orange and black wires and none on the rest of them
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the black shows 12 volts the black ground is bad and that black wire is bad to ground or the ground itself is bad

if you cut that black wire that shows 12 volts the black one that does NOT go to the blower motor and connect a good ground to the cut wire part that goes TO the resistor will it work ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to try it once I'm off from work
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know

99 % of the time when the ground is showing 12 volts its because the wire is broken to ground or the ground connection is bad and usually just running a new ground to that wire into the resistor will correct this type of issue