Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

94 camaro wasn't shifting, Speedo would stop working, I

Customer Question

94 camaro wasn't shifting, Speedo would stop working, I changed the vss and it was awesome for about a month. Stopped working again. I realized it was leaking on the connector cleaned it up and worked again. It kept needing to be done like weekly. Then that stopped working too. So i returned the vas thought maybe it was defective. Real quick when I pulled the first time a lot of fluid came out. Second time hardly any, now put in the new one and all ready to go. Start the car get the tranny fluid all level and proceeded to pull it for a test drive and it's making this winding in the area if the vss type noise. Like a winding up if a toy. What has happened. I almost think no fluid is in there now like there is some air pocket. I'm frustrated!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Does the speedometer still not work with the new VSS installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the speedometer does work, but as I accelerate the winding noise accelerates as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not whining, winding
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried swapping in the old vss to see if the noise is still there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the tranny fluid is making it to that area for some reason now.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Drive the car uphill so some fluid flows back to that area, then see if the noise is still present

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clever, ok I'll try it and get back to you shortly.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's on the trickle charger. I couldn't get it started yesterday it's sat all summer. I'm gonna give it a try in a second. I'll keep you posted after the drive up hill.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok finally got it started it has something loose now on the positive terminal side that goes to a little cluster of all red wires. Going up hill didn't work. The winding out noise is still bad and the car didn't want to go it seems. Could it be the wheel speed sensor? I'm so sad like everything I start it I feel like it should just be healed. I recorded the noise is there a way to send it to you. Please understand I can't afford the call, this was a last stitch effort to get the help of a mechanic. Our I would just take the car in. I'm not trying to be snappy Im just not wanting you to misunderstand.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You can post the recording on youtube or any other website and provide me the link. I'd be glad to listen to it and go from there.