Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have an 09 silverado with a 6.6 LMM Duramax. All at once

Customer Question

Hi, My name is***** have an 09 silverado with a 6.6 LMM Duramax. All at once it lost complete throttle and is blowing black smoke (probably closer to soot). Only code is p0506. I just replaced the fuel filter housing and filter about 2 weeks ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.

Has anything after market been installed on your vehicle at all before this issue occured?

Is the engine oil level at the correct level and if it is over full does it smell like fuel at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was nothing added on, but the oil is overfull, but doesn't smell or feel like diesel in it.
It is possible the driver overfilled it, but honestly I'd be surprised if they even check it. LOL
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,with the oil over full it sets this code here and will cause this issue as the computer tries to compensate by adding more fuel to correct the idle.Here is a description of what will cause this.

* A crankcase overfill can cause oil to be forced through the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system.

* An outside source that has allowed oil or fuel to enter the air induction system.

* An aftermarket performance kit using an external fuel source.

The engine control module (ECM) adjusts the fuel delivery in order to control crankshaft speed at idle. The ECM monitors the engine speed and will detect an out of range idle speed for the amount of fuel that is delivered and will set this code.

I would adjust the oil to the correct level,clear out the fault code with a scan tool and then re check the operation.If the oil does have fuel in it or over fills on its own again this indicates one or more of the fuel injectors is allowing to much fuel into the engine needing replaced as this is a very common issue on this engine.In this case the injectors would then need to be tested to locate and repair the fault from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I corrected the oil level, and the idle is better, but still blowing black smoke and no throttle response at all. No codes came back on. Also when I shut it off it sounds like a whoopie cushion goes off
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you clear out the code(s) with a scan tool when the oil was corrected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Does this noise sound to be coming from the turbo area at all at the top back of the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems to be coming from the air cleaner assy.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,remove the air cleaner and check and see if it is full or oil or fuel or wet.If found wet then water may have entered the filer area and the filer will need replaced.If found full of oil the filter will need replaced and most likely occurred from over fill on oil or turbo is starting to fail possibly.

Let me know if you find anything here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is completely dry. I cranked it back up without the filter. Still no throttle and when I shut it off, when it made the noise it blew black smoke out the air cleaner housing.Thanks,
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This almost sounds like possibly a restriction in the exhaust with a component restricted due to the over fill plugging up a component or possibly a turbo failure.Both of these will have to be checked into/tested further to locate the cause but blow back like this can indicate one of these.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would either of those issues result in absolutely no throttle. Also could it be possible it needs a regen performed to clear a restriction? Yesterday I did hear a whistle that sounded like it was coming from the exhaust underneath the truck, but its not happening today.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The restriction in the exhaust can cause a no throttle issue here.A regen would be the first thing to do in case the filter is restricted in the exhaust as this can be common.This may have to be forced into regen with a scan tool to do this.In some cases the DPF will need replaced and may need done here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything in the datastreams that might indicate an exhaust restriction? I'm not able to get it to go into regen. The scanner is offering to let me enable it but it says not active in the data stream,
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Usually you will see a code for the dpf at fault like a P2463 for filter restriction but it is possible that this isn't being detected.I don't see a procedure myself on checking this here but I do know a dealer usually uses a procedure to check this either with their TECH 2 scan tool or testing.

Thanks Pete