Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

What could be the cause of a constant "groaning" noise I

Customer Question

what could be the cause of a constant "groaning" noise I hear from behind the dash on the passenger side? I know it has to do with a blend door because when I pull the hvac fuse, it stops.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this does sound like a temp actuator may be at fault.They can cause a noise like this here as well as keep the temp from changing from hot to cold or cold to hot.I have had to replace several of these before in the past for this issue here.If you can tell me what model vehicle this is as well if it has the manual heater and ac controls or the AUTO with the AUTO functions on it I can see if I can post the actuator location just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a 2003 trailblazer with the individual manual controls; one for driver's side, one for passenger side. they are moved up or down vertically depending on the driver or passenger's preference.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,the right/passenger side actuator is located on the side of the heater box on the far passenger side near where the passenger puts their feet as seen as #1 below.This actuator has most likely failed and is causing both of these issues here needing replaced.