Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Thanks! My 2006 Tahoe w/ 200,00 miles has a grinding noise

Customer Question

Hi Thanks!
My 2006 Tahoe w/ 200,00 miles has a grinding noise when I accelerate slowly. It stops after 5-10 seconds. I already replaced the brake pads, rotors and calibres. Noise is still there.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise seems to come from the left front wheel area. It happens only when I've been stopped (foot on brake). Then release the brake and press the gas for a slow start. If I accelerate quickly there is no noise. Happens about 30% of the time. The sound is rhythmic - like a motor or gear grinding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops. Sorry about typo- meant to say 200,000 miles
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

will it make this noise if you try it in 4HI ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tried that yet I will try it tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you requested, I drove in 4WD and did not experience the problem. What does that mean to you? Thanks for your help
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

this usually means there is an issue with a front hub / bearing or some kind of issue if the front axle assembly

make sure both front hubs have no up and down play in them and that both front axle shafts are not damaged at all or ripped boots

if that all checks out and the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle is nice and tight then i would have the front axle lube changed and see if this noise goes way

if it does not it would need to be lifted in the air and see if it can be duplicated up in the air and try to narrow down this noise area to the front axle or the transfer case area

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice. I will go back to my mechanic next week and ask him to do as you suggest.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

you can always get me back through this post for FREE anytime with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer !