C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

I have a 2003 Chevy S-10 4.3L engine. The problem is that it

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Chevy S-10 4.3L engine. The problem is that it cranks, starts momentarily and then turns off. I have spark, fuel pressure is 52psi. I sprayed starter fluid down the throttle body and it ran and then stopped. Scanned for codes, none. Security light is off, no blinking. What would you suggest that I can check next?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

Will it continue running if you keep spraying starting fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did do that.

The fuel pressure should read 55-62 PSI nothing more or less. Sounds like it is a bit under that. This could be just a bad gauge but I suspect something more here. Could have a bad ground/power causing lower than 12 volts to the pump or weak ground this will produce less pressure. It also could be some bad fuel. I would begin by Testing the fuel. Take a cup of fuel and let it sit. See if the fuel seperates with sediment. If nothing settles try pouring a little and lighting it on fire. If it does not light it could be contaminated with water. If this checks out than verify the spark plugs are getting fuel. Since it is not starting they should be wet. If they are not I suspect you have an injector issue. If they are wet than I suspect bad fuel.