C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

I have a 1990 chevy RS camaro 5.0L starts great, drive a

Customer Question

I have a 1990 chevy RS camaro 5.0L
starts great, drive a mile or two, stop at light and it dies,,,, pump the gas multi times,,, finally it will start and run or afew blocks to mile,,, then it dies,,,
on highway,,, runs fine at hi-way speeds....
I have had injectors cleaned, fuel filters changed, tune up on motor, gas tank dropped , drained and flushed, all new fuel pump, connectors and new tubing, new fuel pump regulators, but still does the same thing,dies at every stop almost,
took it to the chevy dealer,,, they don't have the equipment to diagnosis a 25 year old car?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have port or throttle body injection?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea, how would I know?

Here is a pic of port injection

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry,,,, I that pic means nothing to me,,, I am NOT a car mechanic, sorry
All I know is they cleaned and flushed the fuel injectors and checked the pressure on all of them, they are all working fine per there statement

Sorry was just trying to verify the correct injection you have. I suspect there is a problem with the throttle body or idle air control valve. I assume they also verified no vacuum leaks at all. I can walk you through doing the repairs yourself or maybe you want me to help find a shop and explain the issue better so you can make sure it gets fixed? Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there were no vacuum leaks,,,, don't know about the mass air, I would love a trusted shop in Mesquite, Texas 75150 to get it fixed,,, it is the only car my family has,,,

Danny's Mesquite Car Care*****br />Mesquite, TX###-##-#######) ###-####br />Open Monday thru Friday 7:30am-5pm
For 24 Hour Towing Call:(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take it to him in the morning,,, thanks

I suspect you have a dirty throttle body and possible dirty or bad idle air control valve. You need to have them clean these items. This can be done in less than 1 hour. That should clear up the issues.

For a new IAC they run about 98.00 from the dealer so aftermarket will be about half that. But most of the time they can just be cleaned unless they are really bad.

So worst case you are looking at 1 hour of labor and 50 in parts. But like I said they can normally be cleaned and they might just charge you 50 in labor to do the job. If you have any other questions or concerns let me know. If they find something let me know and I will professionally explain to you what is going on and best options. Please take a moment to rate my service this evening.