Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

Got a 98 Chevy van that will fire and do its initial rev up

Customer Question

Got a 98 Chevy van that will fire and do its initial rev up and then die. If I hit the gas it dies instantly. Haven't torn anything apart yet..
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The problem you are describing sounds like you have a fuel pressure concern. I would start first with installing your fuel pressure gauge and monitoring the fuel pressure. Normal pressure on the G20 needs to be right at 60 to 66 PSI, anything less then 60 PSI would indicate you have a failing fuel pump. Check this for me and post back if you need more help and or have more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting about 60 psi while the pump runs, but about 50psi max static pressure. Sounds like a bad pump since it doesn't bleed down at all. Sound logical? Is there a pressure controlled relay I am unaware of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it smells kinda rich in the exhaust. I am assuming the unburned fuel is from poor atomization...
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There are no control valve beside the fuel pressure regulator. Where is your pressure when it dies on you, it should not be lower then 60. If it is then that usually means the pump is weak and needs replacement.