Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Just restored 48 chevy pickup with new power brake

Customer Question

just restored 48 chevy pickup with new power brake booster/MC combo fits 74 vette, mustang 11 front suspension with disc brakes, rear disc that fit a Cadillac with parking brake calipers, new brake lines. purchased all parts on line from Brothers , Speedway motors, etc When engine running and pumping brake pedal, pedal will stay down near floor and I have to pull back up to free brakes. Turn engine off, pedal will return to normal position but have to pull back up first then it will not go down to floor with engine off.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

From the symptoms you have described, it sounds like the valve in the power booster may be bad. Before replacing the power booster, disconnect the brake pedal from the rod going to the booster and start the engine. Make sure that rod does not have to be partially depressed to connect it to the brake pedal arm. If alignment is correct, replace the booster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok , I started the engine and the rod did not move
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the pedal from the rod that goes into the booster, started the engine and it did not move
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

When you go to reinstall the rod to the pedal arm, does it align perfectly or do you have to push the rod in to get it to align?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it aligns perfectly , the rod did not move
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The problem is in the assist valve inside the booster. Replacing the booster should fix your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, Brothers Truck Parts are sending me a new booster/MC assembly
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Glad I could help. Please let me know if I can assist further.

Dave