Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have an 2003 Chevy S-10 4.3L. The owner had lost the

Customer Question

I have an 2003 Chevy S-10 4.3L. The owner had lost the ignition key so we replaced the ignition lock. It cranks, starts and then shuts off. Scanned for codes and found only the MAP sensor was at fault. Replaced the MAP sensor, no change. Thought it might
be a security problem, however no security light is illuminated. Checked fuel pressure, 52 psi, even when engine is cranking. Sprayed starter fluid down the throttle body and engine ran and died shortly there after. We did the security 10 minute wait to bypass
the security and when that didn't work we did the 30 minute in 10 minute intervals. That did not help solve the problem. Do you have any ideas as to what I might check next?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

You definitely need to perform the security relearn procedure (which you have tried, I understand that) whenever you replace the ignition lock housing. And your symptom here is perfectly aligns with a security system malfunction.

If the relearn procedure doesn't work, you'll have to look for things that are wrong: is the passlock sensor plugged in? Is the wiring damaged? Are there any fuses that are open? Does the security light come on, even briefly for a bulb check, when you turn the key ON?