Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I just sent the message about my 8 day old 2001 C5 that

Customer Question

I just sent the message about my 8 day old 2001 C5 that won't start with a hot battery clean cables and all other electronics seemingly workingWhat can the solution be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This usually means the starter is bad and shorting out the cables, or that you have corrosion either at the battery or on the ends that connect to the engine or starter. Look for green corrosion or swelling inside the cable insulation.

If the engine is cranking and not starting then it is likely the latter.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One month old battery, cables are new looking. The negative side post was loose, tightened it up, nothing happens, took the battery out to be checked on load all checked out fine. Two lights are on, the check engine (yellow) and the red check Gages light I think it's a security key issue. How can I check that I only got one key when I bought it last week, they are sending me another key fob and key by mail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you get a click or anything when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing , no solinoid click
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

The anti theft should not make the battery cables get hot.

Are both cables hot or just one and if one, which one is hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has been hot it's been sitting since 8 pm Saturday
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I missread what you wrote, it has a hot battery which I assume means a full charge now.

Ok, give me just a moment.

Do you have a test light or a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Full charge sorry my test light is in my work truck, not here
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is it auto or manual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto I've tried neutral and park
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Let's try the 30 minute relearn for the security and see if it will crank. Here is the relearn procedure.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).
  2. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles) .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in the middle of the second 10 min section but I don't see any security light or telltale, what is that I'm timing each step even with no sign of security light
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Looking for a diagram for you, it should be in the owners manual if you got one with the car. It's suppose to be in the instrument panel but GM isn't providing a diagram or location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No manual, they are mailing that also , but the only lights on are the check engine, the check Gages and the red seat belt The security light comes on briefly when I turn the key to start
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

If it's going out then it's probably not the issue.

I am going to open this back up for the other experts to take a look at. Sorry I don't have any more info for you.

Please don't respond or rate me because the others won't get a chance to look at the question. Sometimes it takes a little time to get the right expert to see the question. Without a test light there isn't much we can do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** will wait
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.