Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 1989 chevy k2500 with 350 engine. I have replaced

Customer Question

I have a 1989 chevy k2500 with 350 engine. I have replaced the ECM, TPS, ignition module, ignition coil, fuel filter,ERG, MAP, rebuilt throttle body, Injectors spray fuel, fuel freely flows when fuel line is disconnected. It ran fine and was parked in the drive way. Next day it cranks but will not start.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Pull a plug wire off and stick a screw driver in the boot and hold the metal part of it about 1/4" away from any metal ground and crank it and see is spark jumps across the plug gap. let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spark from a spark plug wire to ground. A little more information: The truck had been occasionally stalling but would start again immediately. This condition had happened rarely for at least a year. I added fuel system cleaner quite a bit. The situation became worse in the last few trips. The engine would stall and would not start until it rested for several minutes. Then it would start and seen to run normally for a several m inutes and then stall again. I checked error code withe the flashing check engine light method. This led me to change the parts I replaced. The latest two part replaced were the TPS and MAP. After that the engine started and seemed to run normally. I drove the truck about 50 miles from our farm to our home without incident. The next day the first time I tried, it would crank but not start. I rebuilt the throttle body and did find one vacuum leak to the MAP that I repaired. Both injectors spray fuel as I have seen a U tube video. But the darn thing does not even seem to fire at all. Completely dead.

About all you can do is test it for spark AND fuel pressure AT THE TIME OF A NO START. If you test those when it is running it wont do much help. If you think about it, all the engine needs to run is fuel and spark so one of them is failing. At the time of a no start, you might try spraying some starting fluid directly into the throttle body and see if it kicks on that. That right there will tell you if its lacking fuel or spark because if it doesnt even try to start with the starting fluid it must be losing spark and if it DOES start for a moment, you know its fuel related. This is a tough one for me to diagnose online but i will be here to answer any questions you have and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

LJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The throttle butterfly seems to be completely closed. I tried starting with the butterfly held slightly open, but still no firing at all.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

lets start from the beginning..

so,you do have a spark on the plug wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spark. Have you read all of my earlier messages. I have sent 3.

ok,,is fuel now coming out of the two injectors when you turn the starter?

are you there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel is spraying out of the injectors. Did you read all of my earlier messages ?

yes,,i have read..

so,you have a spark on the plug wires and fuel is spaying into the throttle body..yet,it doesnt even fire?

has the distributor been removed or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the ignition control moduleinside the distributor and the igntion coil a month or so ago. The truck as run since then with occasional stalling. So far I have also replaced the ECM, TPS, fuel filter, ERG, MAP. and rebuilt the throttle body injector. the latest parts were the TPS and the MAP. After replacing these 2 componets, the engine started and seemed to run normally. I drove 50 miles from our farm to our house. The very next morning it would not start.

if it is in time,getting fire to the plugs andgetting fuel to the throttle body ,there is no reason for it not to at least fire if it is in time

lets double check the timing

1-remove the #1 plug
2-turn the engine slowly until you feel air[compression] come out of that cylinder,get the piston all the way to the top on this stroke.
3-align the mark on the crank pulley to 0deg.,,now we have the #1 piston up on the compression stroke.
4-install the distributor to where the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire terminal inside the cap.the engine should fire here.you want the #1 to fire with the piston up on the compression stroke.

it isnt common for this engine to jump time on the chain,but,i have seen the distributor gear strip out at times

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could cause the timing to change overnight. It was running fine one day and failed to start the next.

the gear on the distributer may have stripped,,your next step is to check the timing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. This may take a while.

thats ok,,but we need to know..fact is with spark,fuel and it time,it should fire up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which one is number 1? Driver or passenger side. I forget.

drivers side front

here you go.

i will respond when i am back on line

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have given up. I have no way to turn the engine slowly and I have no timing light.

there is no other way to make sure it is in fact in time,,

you dont need a timing light to make sure the distributor is right with the engine

1-remove the #1 plug