Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Power windows 't workon a2005 chevy impala relay is fine and

Customer Question

power windows don't workon a2005 chevy impala relay is fine and switch is fine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

do you have a good multi meter on hand ?

can you unplug the drivers window switch connector and with your meter set to DC volts red meter lead into the yellow wire terminal in the connector and the black meter lead into the black wire terminal in the connector with the key ON what does it show for volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no to no multi meter ?

or no volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no meter
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if you say the switch is good ( which i do not know how you can know that with out testing it ) then there is power or ground missing to the drivers window switch

the drivers window switch holds the power and ground and shares it to the other windows

so this issue is missing 12 volts at the yellow wire or the black is not a good ground or the drivers switch is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the rap retained accesary pwr brkr inside the fusebox under a bolted down plastic cap? drivers side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the switch with a working one and the relay in the fuse box
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the yellow wire at the switch shows NO power then we test the window circuit breaker for power but only if the yellow wire at the switch is NOT showing 12 volts

if the RAP is powering the window circuit breaker correctly then with the key ON testing the breaker the breaker should show 12 volts on BOTH sides of it testing it in place reaching beside it to the terminals the breaker connects into

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a meter- i am trying to take the path of least resistance could the rap be bad? the swich makes a buzzing sound. the power mirror on cluster panel works fine. I tried 2 different switchs that were tested they made the same sound. is the rap a possibility?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes the RAP relay is a possibility and so is a bad ground at the black wire or the yellow wire not getting 12 volts

if you have any wire you can plug in the switch and take a piece of wire and connect it to your negative battery cable then stick it in the back side of the connector where its touching the terminal in the connector of the black wire and see if the windows will work if it doesn't then connect that wire to the positive battery cable and stick the wire into the yellow wire terminal and see if the windows will work

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?