jcv2118
jcv2118, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Gm tech for 5 years, Service Manager at a Chevrolet dealer for 6 years.
35803371

2005 aveo will not crank over. I can jump the relay and it

Customer Question

2005 aveo will not crank over. I can jump the relay and it starts.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it is a 2009 aveo 1.6
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Have you tried swapping the relay with another one? Im sure you did but i figure i'd ask anyway. If you have and it's still an issue, try putting the transmission in neutral and see if it will start then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can jump the relay at pin 87 and itstarts. also I can jump the ecm pin number 29 brown wire and it will turn over. before it would not start 1outa3 times. now nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also when you jump the relay at 87 it will start but has no tach. and cant read ob2. if you get it to start with the key you have communication. it had a u code just don't member what it was as I cant get in now

OK. Just to make sure, you have tried starting it in neutral?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a stick shift. and I did put a new clutch switch in with no change.

oh, i'm sorry. I didn't even notice that you had replaced the clutch switch. I apologize. I will open the question up. Hopefully someone here has seen this before and can get you taken care of quickly. Good luck man.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last week I could hold the ignition switch in run position and sometimes it would start sometimes not
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

new expert here

can you look in the glove box at the big white option label and see if you have option code WHB

also do you have a test light and or a multi meter on hand ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is has the option code WHB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have those tools on hand
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok great thank you for checking

so if you jump the brown wire to ground the starter will start the car and the car will run fine ?

if so at the neutral clutch switch is the black a good ground ? if so if you disconnect the clutch switch and jump the black wire terminal to the brown wire terminal will the car start up when you hold the key to crank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a black wire. I have blue, brown and orange at the clutch switch.also if I jump the relay at number 87 it starts and runs with no tach. if I jump the wire at terminal 29 ecm it will only crank not run
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

to be clear if you jump the terminal 87 it will start up and run ? or just crank over ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will start and run. that's how ive been getting it in the shop.i did notice the tac will not work though. and when it will start with the key the tac will work and I have communication at obd port.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok so when this is acting up you can NOT communicate with the OBD port ?

when its acting up and not communicating with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you CAN NOT starts the car with the switch you CAN NOT read obd. and yes the check engine light is on
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you i just wanted to be sure

with a new ecm and ignition switch in this car when the computer will not communicate the computer would have to be missing or having a bad ground or power too it

can you first see if ground G104 as seen here is clean and tight ? # ***** in this picture

if that checks out good can you wiggle the relay called engine main in the under hood fuse box and see by wiggling it if it will allow communication ?

also remove that relay and see if any of the 4 terminals on it are black or brown or burnt at all

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24 ground seems good and tight. also I wiggled main relay and nothing. I forgot to mention I did replace the fuse block as well.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

wow

new fuse box and new ignition switch and new ecm ?

right now with the ignition key ON you can NOT communicate with the computer correct ? if so lets back probe a few terminals and see if they all show 12 volts with the key ON the connector X1 see if terminal # ***** is an orange wire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
number 3 does have 12 volt. still no comm
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok also see if terminals # ***** 16 and 14 show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
number 12 and 14 have power number 16 does not . if I put 12 volt to 16 it kicks the main relay in but still wont crank
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

get to the IGN 1 relay

see if the terminals are all good on it and try to wiggle it ect...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all terminals are ok on main relay. ive wiggles hit etc. nothing. I have to leave for 4 hrs I will check back with you in the morning or tonight.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok when you test again pull the relay and with the key ON 2 terminals should show 12 volts in the box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I check power at the main relay their is 2 terminals that have 12 volt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do we go from here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anybody their
Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

hi, another tech here.

I could try and help out if you wish.

Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

are we going to try tonight ?

Expert:  jcv2118 replied 1 year ago.

im off in 30 minutes