BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2003 Chevy Venture WB edition. 249,900+ miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Chevy Venture WB edition. 249,900+ miles. Chugging/Jerking as you go down the road. Idles smooth. Thought it was bad gas. Ran fuel injector cleaner through it twice. Still didn't help. In the process of doing all this, we changed the fuel filter. Chugging went away for a few days, then came back. Checked furl filter, and it was clogged. Replaced it again. Van still chugs/jerks while driving. Feels like it's losing power sometimes. Most of the time it keeps going and the power comes back. Died once. Started back up after 10 minutes wait. Battery light flashed. Had it checked - not the battery or alternator. No problems starting it. Mechanics say no codes showing up. Help!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light comes on at all when the vehicle is running like this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been on for years. We have never reset it because we don't know how, and our general mechanic never seemed concerned about it. We've always been told that as long as it's not running codes, it didn't really need to be reset.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. It is odd that the light is on and they are telling you there are no codes. If you wanted to try someone else most auto parts stores will read the codes for free and you can bring them to me and we can see what is going on. It sounds to me though like you need to check the fuel pressure. Typically when the fuel pump gets weak this will occur. If you have a fuel pressure gauge you need to see if the pressure is above 55 psi. If not then that is more than likely the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had a local auto store read the codes Tuesday and it came back clean. Nothing showed up.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Then definitely check the fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure is one of the few issues that will cause the engine to run like this and not throw a code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do that later today and get back to you.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I will look for you response later.