Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I just replaced an A/C compressor on my 1994 Chevy C1500.

Customer Question

I just replaced an A/C compressor on my 1994 Chevy C1500. The new compressor clutch engages for a second and then disengages. This cycle continues every 10 to 45 seconds. The pressures on both the suction and discharge remain at about 60 psi. I tried jumping both the
low pressure switch and the high pressure switch with no improvement. When the clutch engages, it makes a loud metal sound. Could the new clutch be bad, or is there another thing to check?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

Start by determining whether power is going away when this happens. Backprobe the electrical connector at the compressor while this is happening and see if the power supply to the clutch is also cycling, or if the clutch is just doing this by itself.