Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2007 equinox. suddenly today there is puddle of red

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2007 equinox. suddenly today there is puddle of red fluid under it. how much fluid can I lose before I drive it to a repair shop. perhaps lost about 1/4 cup so far.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

what area is this fluid from ?

red fluid can either be coolant or transmission fluid and we need to know which fluid it is leaking

if it is coolant and only @ 1/4 cup it should be fine to drive to the shop for repairs 25 to 50 miles or so just when driving keep your eye on the temp gauge and if it starts to get up to the hot shut off the vehicle

if this is transmission fluid even 1/4 cup could cause the transmission to possibly slip clutches and possibly damage the transmission

these transmissions can be effected by being down 1 quart and is not worth risking the drive if it is transmission fluid