Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My daughter's 2001 Cavalier is having ignition issues. When

Customer Question

My daughter's 2001 Cavalier is having ignition issues. When the key os turned on there is good power to everything in the vehicle but when you go to the crank position of the switch there is nothing. Do I need to replace the starter or just the solenoid.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the odds are if the starter is bad it is best to just change the starter complete as one piece v/s just the solenoid

before you change the starter you need to see if when the key is held to crank if the purple wire at the starter shows 12 volts ?

if so and the battery is good and the battery cables clean and tight then replacing the starter should correct this problem

if the purple wire does not show 12 volts when holding the key to crank then starter relay could be bad or possible bad ignition switch or neutral switch on the transmission