Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have 2003 Chevy Impala. Recently, it's been having a hard

Customer Question

I have 2003 Chevy Impala. Recently, it's been having a hard shift between 1st gear and 2cd. (Auto transmission) So, last week I had my transmission serviced to see if there was any metal in the filter but none was found. Now, it feels like there's no second gear. You can hear the RPMs revving like it's in overdrive and can't feel it change gears until it hits about 40mph. The engine light is on...so, there maybe some codes. The Chevy dealership recommends a full diagnostic appointment to check codes and open the transmission. I would just like a professional opinion on possibilities before I go...to educate myself. Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

a lot of times this issue is caused by debris sticking a valve in the valve body or the pressure control solenoid in the valve body

knowing the codes would greatly narrow this issue down

it bothers me 2nd gear is doing this

the best action to take is when the dealer calls you with what they found out if the codes are a pressure control code or long shift adapts the odds are cleaning the valve body and a new pressure control solenoid will correct this issue

if by chance it does not correct this issue or there are other transmission codes there is a chance there is some kind of internal failure happening in this transmission causing this issue which most of the times it will need to come out and apart to see visually what is failing inside the transmission

but again the key to what is wrong will be the code numbers set and most of the time it is a valve body cleaning and a new pressure control solenoid ( outside chance of a TCC solenoid ) causing this problem