Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I'm working on my nieces 99tahoe 4x4 with 5.7L It died on

Customer Question

I'm working on my nieces 99tahoe 4x4 with 5.7L
It died on her a couple times. Had it towed to the dealership where they replaced the fuel pump and recommend replacing the ignition switch. It started at the dealership and never again. I replaced the ignition switch and noticed the the gauges are no longer cycling and the warning lights do not come on
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

so when you turn the ignition key ON no gauges will work ? will the check engine light be lit up in the dash ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if they are working but it typically would cycle the fuel gauge to empty and back to the fuel level it was showing. Now nothing. No security light not idiot lights and not gauges cycling.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

before the switch was changed all that stuff worked ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you put back in the old switch will everything work again in the dash ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hadn't tried due to a low battery. Charging battery now
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok charge up the battery good and make sure the battery tests good then see if it still does this try the old switch and see if it acts the same or not

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the old switch is in and it didn't change anything but now it won't turn. Apparently it only had one turn left in it and now it will not turn at all
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Different expert here. If you still need help on this, try using a hammer and GENTLY tapping on the lock cylinder as you turn the key. This should free it up. If it doesnt, then you will need to drill out the lock pin on the side in order to remove it and reinstall the new lock cylinder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried tapping shaking and cursing. Where on the side should I still? Where the pop-up lock is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drill not still
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
The retaining pin that you had to push in to originally remove the lock cylinder. That is what you need to drill out. I believe it is around a 1/8" bit if memory serves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will get back with a daagr report
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Damage report
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
It shouldnt damage any thing. This is method GM states to use when the cylinder doesnt turn
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I work for the railroad and am on call 24/7 and have been out of town. Hoping to get back at a decent time today and finish drilling it out.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
Well I got the old cylinder out and were back to the beginning.
The dash warning lights don't come on with the key being turned on and the gauges don't cycle. Turning the key doesn't activate the starter either.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, when you replaced it, did you just replace the ignition lock cylinder and key, or did you also replace the ignition switch that the lock cylinder connects to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the cylinder and key
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I believe that they didnt explain it in detail enough when they told you what it needed. You have an ignition key lock cylinder and then a separate ignition switch. The lock cylinder connects to the switch, which is the electrical part that sends the signal to the starter, dash, lights, etc when you turn the key. This is the part that they were actually referring to that needs to be replace. The contacts in it are worn out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK that's where I was headed to next. Will contact you when I get it swapped out. Is there any reprogramming needed?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

You will need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure

30minute GM relearn procedure:

1-TurnON the ignition,with the engine OFF.

2-Attemptto start theengine,then release the key to ON (vehiclewill not start).

3-Observe theSECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4-Turn OFF theignition, and wait 5 seconds .

5-Repeat steps 1through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes(the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor DataCode and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFFto CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM)Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switchtransition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF beforeattempting to start the vehicle.

6-Start the engine(the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/orpassword).

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?