BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2010 Silverado 5.3, twice lifters have locked up in 102000

Customer Question

2010 Silverado 5.3, twice lifters have locked up in 102000 miles. Dealer supposedly changed lifters the first time @ 52000 now down again. I changed lifters this time, ran for about 2 weeks, it started staying in 4 cylinder until I got on Highway. Now it idles rough and has absolutely no power
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. When you say the lifters lock up do you mean they collapse and stay compressed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AFM lifters locked up at #1 cylinder. I think you know what happens then. Dealer supposedly changed them all the first time. When we changed them, realized engine had not been tore down. I now have a 40,000 dollar pile of junk. Need any help I can get
Expert:  Triston replied 1 year ago.

I do these repairs all the time sorry but I'm not really sure what your question is. Until your reply back if you contact Gm customer assistance they will probably hell even though you are out of warranty. Also I know the complete repair process. Thanks

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back with me. Triston is right that GM may assist in the cost of the repair if you push hard enough. I would try that especially since you are still close to 100,000 miles. The lifters fail all of the time, but many times it is caused by an issue with the oil pump or by using the wrong weight oil or a cheap oil filter.