Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

2005 Chevy Express When I push on the brake pedal, my

Customer Question

Dave
2005 Chevy Express
When I push on the brake pedal, my interior dome lights faintly come on and my left side brake light goes out and the backup lights come on. The right brake light appears to be functioning properly
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The left brake light is real dim when the brake pedal is pushed. it appears to be getting a little juice. The roof toop brake light is also real dim. Signal lights are working, park lights are working.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

The symptoms you are indicating is a ground problem. Do you have a trailer hitch and wiring installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No trailer hitch, but have alarm system installed that has remote start. This system allows you to remotely start the vehicle and shut it off if the brake pedal is pushed.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

That could also be suspect. I would see if you can locate the module and unplug it and see if your problem goes away

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Samuel.Attempted to take all extra wiring from under dash and under hood. It's kind of hard to know what belongs and what doesn't. What I did notice was when my rear air conditioner is on the left side rear brake light dims. Also it appears that the front air conditioner runs fine but when I turn on the rear air it hardly has any force if air like it use to. When I disconnect the wires that bring it power the rear left lights get bright again. The lights stil alternate from brake light to backup lights when I push in the brake light in. I don't understand why this is happening, I'm starting to get frustrated. I hope I don't have to unravel the entire harness.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I would start with checking ground wires. I suspect you have a bad ground.

Which engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chevy express 1500. I believe it is a 8 cyl. I looked and noticed that the at the rear of the van near the left brake light there was a ground wire secured to the van body. I don't know where else to look for another ground. I also took a hot wire and tested the roof brake light to make sure the bulbs work, it worked., but it doesn't work when not connected to the hot wire. I also saw a engine light that stated reduced power come on then disappear when i started the engine. I don't remember this light coming on and disappearing before. My check engine light is on with codes P0060 and P00161.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

can you check the VIN and tell me the 8th digit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is T
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

On the right front of the engine is a ground cable that controls the lights and the PCM a very likely suspect.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

There is also a ground on both sides of the back of the engine.

The codes you have are for the oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 2. This is the oxygen sensor behind the rear convertor. The furthest back. Try unplugging that and see if the lights change how they work. It is possible that the oxygen sensor is shorted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to have to research what this converter looks like and where it's located. I'm getting out of my league here do please be patient with me. Can we communicate tomorrow or Monday regarding my problem? I really can't see a thing it's to dark.. If there was a short in the 02 sensor wires, why would my right side rear lights still work? My rear air unit is on the left side of the van and the wires connection was wrapped in the same bundle of wires as the brake lights. My courtesy light come on when I hit the brakes, this is also in the same bundle of wires. These wires run under the front driver side mat then they run up to the left side of the roof all the way to the rear of the van. There is about 15 wires grouped together. Is there an easy way to see if there is a break or bare wire without unraveling the entire wiring harness
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Yes later is fine. The convertor is in the exhaust system. Looks like small muffler. closer to engine

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need your help but at work. I have not forgotten about rating you after competition.Will try you tomorrow once free
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

OK. Just let me know