Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My clutch pedal goes to the floor and releases about 1/2in

Customer Question

My clutch pedal goes to the floor and releases about 1/2in off the floor and is really hard to shift also when pressing the clutch the tranny moves a little along with the engine?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

You're not getting full travel out of the clutch, but we need to find out why. Start with a visual inspection, can you watch the slave cylinder while someone operates the clutch, and see that it's traveling a full stroke?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I can't see it

Is there fluid in the clutch master cylinder?

When you say "the tranny moves a little along with the engine" what does that mean exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My resivor tank is full of fluid and when I engaged the clutch it moves the tranny witch moves the engine also like tension or something

You mean the whole transmission is moving when you push the clutch pedal?

I have seen situations where the transmission bellhousing bolts are loose, allowing the transmission to actually move backwards away from the engine when pushing the clutch pedal. They shouldn't come loose, this situation would be more due to a recent clutch replacement or some other work, where the mechanic didn't tighten the bolts properly and they backed off. In this case, just tightening the bell housing bolts solved the problem.

Is this what we're talking about here?