Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2007 impala the recirculator will not stay on. When

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2007 impala the recirculator will not stay on. When I push it, it will turn on for a sec then it switches automatically to outside. If I push the recirculator or ac button after this it flashes 5 or 6 times. This started AFTER I put refridgerant in my car.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Does it make a difference if you have the blower on floor, vent, or defrost?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope it blinks 5 or 6 times when changing to those cycles as well. I can hear the compressor kick on but then it shuts off within a second or 2.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Verify that the Mode button is not set to Floor, Defog, or Defrost. Recirculation is inhibited in these modes and the light just blinks and turns off.

Is the AC blowing hot also?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is the operation description from GM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the few seconds the ac does come on the air is cool. And the ac is always set the dash vent only. The ac doesn't stay on but a second then it auto switches to outside.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If it never switches from dash vent then I think you might still have a door operation problem. There is a recirculation door actuator, a mode door, and a temperature blend door on this car.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way you could get the computer scanned for HVAC trouble codes. It's possible a mode position re-learn could solve the issue rather than changing out parts. This can be done with a Snap-on Solus, or a Tech 2.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No scan tools that good just a Harbor freight one. The one I replaced is in that pic of recirculator door that part is brand new. I'm taking it to a chevy dealership Monday for a recall maybe they'll scan it for me. Thanks for your help though.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, maybe they can pull some codes. After you installed the blend door did you reset the system? That also might do the trick. Disconnect the battery, cross the cables for 30 seconds and then hook the battery back up. It might make the HVAC module re-calibrate, but it will also clear any codes that are stored.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What do you mean by cross the cables....pos on the neg and neg on the pos?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cause I definitely did not reset any system
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sort of. Touch the cables together for about thirty seconds. Do not connect them to the battery at all while doing this. After thirty seconds all of the modules will reset and you can hook the battery back up as usual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll try it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I have seen it solve a number of problems on GM vehicles after replacing certain parts. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got done trying that. As soon as reconnected the terminals the heat door actuator on passenger side started clicking. Then when I turned on the ac it actually worked long enough too fool me into thinking it was fixed, then something started clicking on the driver side by my right leg and as soon as that happened the ac started acting up again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm done for the night. Thanks a lot for you help.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Something is out of whack in the HVAC controls. I'll do some more research and get back with you in the morning.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I think you may have to re-calibrate the HVAC control motors. It will require a compatible scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok now I got to find one hopefully one of the auto stores has one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealership should have one but that's not till monday.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

A Snap-on Solus, or a Tech 2 will work.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check in and see if you needed any additional information. I hope that I have been of some assistance and would appreciate a positive rating if it have. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I haven't yet man I just moved to Oklahoma a couple weeks ago. You did help me and I'm going to give you a five star I just need my first paycheck.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks! I hope you get settled nicely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks man. So I just replaced the last two bad actuators, didn't do the cross battery cable yet that's for tomorrow. My last thing I can think of is to also replace the ac control panel......I'll let you know what happens.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Those control panels don't go out very often. The blend door actuators sure do... I hope you get it working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I FIXED IT!!!! I overcharged the system. I probably broke a federal law or something, I connected the plastic connector that comes with those diy ac kits, squeezed the trigger and expelled the extra freon. After I took it around the block and it was A OK.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That's great that you got it going! I hope I have been some assistance and I would love to help again in the future.