GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

We just purchased a 2010 hhr and 't know a lot about it, the

Customer Question

we just purchased a 2010 hhr and don't know a lot about it, the esc light came on today and there is a odd noise when you keep driving. when it says service ESC does that mean we should not drive it but take it to the dealer?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Sorry to hear about this issue with your new vehicle.Are there any other lights on? The noise, does it change while driving, like getting louder when going faster or changing when turning?

In particular I am thinking the check engine light or the ABS light. ESC stands for Electronic stability control and its an indicator that there is a fault with the vehicle. THE noise you mentioned suggests possibly a wheel bearing assembly. I would recommend that you make your way to a shop or the dealer before driving to much to make sure no further damages happens from driving it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as I said the SERVICE ESC light was on and stayed until we got home. I went out and started it later and the light was off. The sound was a low grinding sound.

I would get that checked out soon then. It sounds like you may have a bad wheel bearing.