K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

2000 Impala 3.8 The car surges @ 50 to 60 mph The Tac drops

Customer Question

2000 Impala 3.8 The car surges @ 50 to 60 mph The Tac drops with the surge about 400 rpms if you hold the throttle steady, let off completely and it may not come back, its not consistant until the next drive cycle. codes PO 140 & PO141B. Have not checked
Fuel Pressure. Help!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the 141 code is due to a problem with the heating circuit of the upstream oxygen sensor. This will casue the 140 code to set as well as a lean condition which can result in the surging you are having.

Does your scan tool have live data capibility? Do you have a volt/ohm meter handy to check the heater element of the oxygen sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have Scanner & Volt ohm Meter. I guess i need the procedure. Thanks , That makes me feel better!
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to post the test for 141 and replacement procedure below. Before you go to deep into it unplug the oxygen sensor and set your meter to ohms and check the cavity that the pink and black wire went to. If it reads open of course it's bad also check each of those wires to ground to see if it's shorted. I'll add the wiring diagram below as well.

Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.