Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Dealer says my2002 Trailblazer shows code p1484 after I paid

Customer Question

Dealer says my2002 Trailblazer shows code p1484 after I paid them $2411 for two other problems.
They want $800 -$900 to replace the fan clutch. I tested the fan clutch by trying to stop it while the engine is on and I couldn't do it.
Is there a more definitive test I can perform?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Actually the P1484 is a "known problem" on these vehicles, and GM has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (#05-06-02-012B) that states the problem is aused by the cooling fan harness chaffing against the plastic guide it routes through. This contact may damage the insulation of the wires enclosed in that harness. The correct repiar is to replace the wire harness to the fan. So the issue isn';t the fan itself, but the electrical too it. Many times this can simply be repaired by repairing the wire harness and taping the individual; wires. Unless the wires are completely worn through, this is definitely a possibility. At either repair, the Labor Time Guide calls for roughly 3 hours labor. So the estimate of $800-$900 is a bit on the high side. Might be a good idea to shop around and find a shop that has seen this issue before. Considering it was a major issue on these vehicles, I'm fairly certain someone has seen it before. Please remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..