Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My elderly female cousin's 1986, 4 cyl, chev celebrity,

Customer Question

My elderly female cousin's 1986, 4 cyl, chev celebrity, supposedly seized up, so says army vet who helped her. I'm guessing from lack of oil as she has an oil leakage problem. If it is indeed seized, can it be fixed?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
It can be, but honestly it is cheaper just to install an used engine versus rebuilding the existing one. A seized engine will need new pistons, rings, rods, crank and main bearings, and possibly new crankshaft as well, and will need cylinders honed and possibly bored and sleeves installed depending upon how severely scored they are.
An used engine is $800 to $1000 and 9 hours to replace, about $900.Total is $1700 to $1900
To rebuild is around $650 in parts for overhaul kit and labor is 22.6 hours labor, about $2260. Total about $2910
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks