Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Coolant warning light' is on, trying to fill the coolant

Customer Question

coolant warning light' is on, trying to fill the coolant plastic container, unable to get the plastic cap off to fill container. it turns and loosens but then seems to get tight - i'm afraid of breaking the cap?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Turn the cap until it is loose and then pull the cap straight up. The rubber o-ring at the bottom has a tendency to expand a bit making the cap seem like it will not pull up and out, but it will. Just so you can see the underside of the cap and know what you're working with, CLICK HERE for an image view of the cap. Please remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
won't come off . . . I tried - seems stuck?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

It probably is just that- stuck. Once it's loose, there is nothing holding it in there except that rubber o-ring at the bottom. Give it a good tug. You won't break anything. Make sure the cap is at it's loosest point and then it pulls up and out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try again . . .
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes pushing downwards on the cap while turning it to its loosest point can help. But again, once at the middle point, it should pull right up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no luck!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not quite sure what to tell you at this point. If the cap will not come off, then it will need to be pryed off, or the reservoir itself replaced (which will come with a new cap).