Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have an 06 impala, with 104k. My first signs of my

Customer Question

I have an 06 impala, with 104k.
My first signs of my electrical problems was I could'not get into trunk. Same day, my dash lights went out, along with left tail light. Not able to get into trunk that night to check bulb.
Next am, trunk now opens. I checked all fuses, and changed all tail lights, due to right turn now not working.
Symptoms kept changing till they've stabilized with when right turn signals are on, the 4 ways flash, along with reverse lights. When headlights, not driving lights, come on so do my reverse lights. I am stumped the way things kept changing. I was told it could be bcm.... body control module. If so , it needs to be programmed? Who can do this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps all of these electrical problems can be the result of a bad ground. I would like to confirm this but I need to look up the wiring diagrams so I need to know if this is a SS, LS, LT or LTZ and what engine came in it, the 3.5l, 3.9l or 5.3l?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Mike, Paula the Impala is a LT, with a 3.5 engine
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I was out. Are you prepared to do some electrical testing using a voltmeter or 12 volt test light? If so, let me know which you will be using. In the meantime I need to download some wiring diagrams.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Due to brain injury, I'm no longer able to do any real repairing myself. I either will ask friends or take it to shop.
New update...no longer able to get into trunk, right turn signal, nothing. I think she is possesed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I can get you the wiring diagrams if you like. Let me know and in the morning, I'll upload them. It will be quite a few and I am ready for bed myself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what it most likely is? If you can tell me a couple of things I could try before I take it to a shop. You mentioned a grounding possibility. With your experience what are your guesses.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Looking at the rear lights wiring diagram, I see the ground for the left tail light is G302, located below the passenger front door opening, rear of right a-pillar.

According to the interior lights wiring diagram, the rear compartment lid release actuator is grounded to the very same G302 ground.

That is what led me to believe it might be a ground issue, but the instrument cluster lighting ground is actually G201.

What you are going to have to do or whomever is going to do the work is test with a voltmeter each individual circuit that is malfunctioning the very exact time that it is malfunctioning and determine where the open, short circuit or short to ground is occurring.