BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 1995 Chevy G20 Van, 5.7 liter TBI motor, while now,

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Chevy G20 Van, 5.7 liter TBI motor, for a while now, it runs in traffic for about 1 hour, and for about 2-3 hrs on hwy. Then it stalls, bogs down. On hwy, usually stalls when slowing down upon entering a town, sometimes while driving down open hwy. Doesn't happen in cool or cold weather so far. 1st started when I moved out of Oklahoma, never happened there. I ran non-ethanol gas in Oklahoma, since then all seems to be ethanol gas. I started adding a fuel conditioner for ethanol, but no change. Had radiator flushed really well and replaced thermostat and fuel filter, No luck so far. Acts likeit's overheating, but temp gage stays from 1/4 to 1/2, Also flushed radiator, new thermostat, newfuel filter. THX
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. The most common cause of this on this engine is the ignition control module. When it begins to fail it is very prone to having poor readings in high heat conditions. It is located in the distributor housing. If you remove it you can have it tested at most auto parts stores for free. If it gets really hot during testing then it is the problem. If not then it may be a failing MAP sensor.