BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have an 07 chevy equinox... when I go over 55 theres a

Customer Question

I have an 07 chevy equinox... when I go over 55 theres a clunk and then service stabilitrak and traction control lights come on...as well as engine hot turn off a/c even when the ac isn't on (because it doesn't work) thend after the codes come up it accelerates really slowly. Any idea? Brain box? Transmission? Combo?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the clunk you are hearing is very loud or is it more subtle? Is this an all wheel drive model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It depends on how fast I get up to speed...the other day I got on the interstate and could barely feel it shift. No it isn't AWD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it chunks the car feel a little unsteady for a moment
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Does the check engine light ever come on when this occurs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light is always on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took it to aamco. They read the codes...it threwa like 22 codes. He said he thought it was electrical not the transmission because most were electrical codes and sent me to another guy. Other guy said it was a transmission and I should just junk it.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

That is a little much to just junk it. Did they happen to give you the codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did I dont know where the paper went I went its been a few months since I took it in. Alot of them were electrical so idk why the other guy didon't address that. He wouldn't look at he codes from aamco. Alot were "a" not communicating with "b"... one was incorrect 3rd to 4th gear ratio
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

The codes would really help. Most of the time when you get a large number of codes like this it is an electrical or module issue. The PCM or the BCM might be failing. It would be hard to tell without the codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used my step dad's reader and this is what is says: P0171 system  too lean , p0731 gear 1 incorrect ratio , p0128 coolant thermostat  (coolant temp below regulating temp), p0762 shift selenoid c stuck on, p0700 transmission control system, p0171 system too lean , p0700 transmission control system
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. From those codes you can have a series of problems. What concerns me the most is the transmission codes. These typically mean that there is some slippage in the transmission. Most of the time this is a serious issue. Did you plan on trying to diagnose and fix this yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I went to 2 places and nobody was helpful. I read online that the codes that start with "p" relate to theat pcm... I figured I'd probably replace that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were a bunch more codes when aamco tested it. Literally 20+ codes.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

You can get P codes even with other issues such as a voltage issue or bad grounds. Before doing anything I would start by making sure that the battery and cables are definitely fine and clean as many of the connections as you can. Then I would move on to the ignition switch first as it is a much less expensive common failure on this vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think any of that would have to do with the clunking and stabilitrak?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

These can cause the stability system to kick in. The noise you are hearing may be the system itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Interesting ok I'll do that