Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I had a mechanic change out a 6cyl w a standard transmission

Customer Question

I had a mechanic change out a 6cyl w a standard transmission to a 305 8 cal with an automatic transmission, and the speedometer will not work, I have tried 3 clusters
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We installed an engine and transmission from an 1989 firebird, all of the indicator s work such as oil pressure , temperature, and voltage. The cruise control doesn't work and neither does the speedometer and or trip counter , about every 100 miles the trip counter runs about 2 miles very slowly
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

did you connect the vss[vehicle speed sensor]?on the automatic it is on the tailshaft of the transmission

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will ask my mechanic tomorrow if possible

ok

to me,it sounds as if the speed sensor isnt connected or the wiring to the vss is damaged,,the cruse control wont work until you get the speedometer to work

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks i will let you know if that sokves the issue

ok..please do..

i can give you the wiring diagram for it also if needed

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.