Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Wher is the choke located on my 1989 corvette? I think I had

Customer Question

Wher is the choke located on my 1989 corvette? I think I had a mouse under the hood and he chewed some wires. My car won't come off fast idle until I tap the accelarator
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The car uses an IAC (idle air control) motor on the throttle body and not really a choke. If the car starts fine both hot and cold then this is working like it should. If you had a mouse in there, I would look at the rubber hoses. If you have an intake leak or some other vacuum leak, the car will start up at high idle to try and make the proper fuel mixture when it's running. A vacuum leak will cause it to continue to add fuel to make the mixture right, and this will cause high rpms.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does it come down when I tap the gas pedal?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Thought it wasn't coming down?

If it does come down, then it's likely the IAC is sticky and covered with carbon. You can remove it and clean it with carb cleaner. Also make sure you clean the throttle body where it goes as well.

If it's coming down, then scratch the vacuum leak theory, this won't be the cause.

I am sending you a diagram of the IAC location to help.