Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2000 chevy 3500 van 5.7l cranks but no start, fuel gauge

Customer Question

2000 chevy 3500 van 5.7l cranks but no start, fuel gauge horizontal pointing to rt side unresponsive. would that indicate a specific problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

with the ignition key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ?

when cranking it over is there spark at the plug wires where they connect to the spark plugs ?

will the engine somewhat run if you spray starting fluid or carb cleaner down the throttle body buttery fly ?

any idea on the fuel pressure key ON engine OFF ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no light, fires with ether. had a bs parts changer "fix" it when ECM fuse kept burning in the rainy season. sounded like monkeys with hammers in engine, timing totally off in my opinion, could it be cam or crank sensor
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the first problem we have is with the key ON the check engine light should be lit up in the dash

secondly if it will run on either then the issue is we are juts missing fuel and we have good spark

NONE of the fuses especially the ECM fuse are NOT blown at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bought used from bell south cel may be disconnected cant remember ever seeing it. backpressuring is a term I would consider using to describe noises associated with starting. has been down for over a year as I drive a state vehicle everyday as park maintenance director. need to fix for bugout vehicle
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

but it will start up fine on either correct ?

if so if you unplug the big fuel injector connector on the fuel injector and turn the key ON do 8 out of the 16 terminals in the connector show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to check that later wife is home now and family bbq on schedule. can you tell me where to look for cam and crank sensors
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the cam sensor should not cause this the crank sensor is located in the bottom of the timing cover as seen here

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the cam sensor is inside the distributor