Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2003 Siverado V8 sputters and dies. I changed the alternator

Customer Question

Hi Dan, I'm Don My 2003 Siverado V8 sputters and dies. I changed the alternator but no change. It did this just one day while driving and acted as if I was out of gas. Could it be a fuel filter or fuel pump?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

if the engine will psychically crank over just fine then the battery and alternator should be fine and not causing this issue

yes a restricted fuel filter and or fuel pump can cause this type of issue usually a restricted fuel filter can damage the fuel pump also

the best bet is to replace the fuel filter and if it still acts up see if the fuel pressure is reading @ 55 psi key ON engine OFF if it is NOT reading that much PSI then the fuel pump is bad