Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

3.5l gm I removed the lifters to clean and know you have to

Customer Question

3.5l gm I removed the lifters to clean and know you have to reinstall them into the same locations but what position should the oil ports in the side of the lifter be
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is if it does not matter or if they were facing wrong to begin with, and I reinstall them with one turned 180 degrees will that be the same as getting one back in the wrong hole and cause galling due to the roller now turning opposite what it was on the cam.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

it doesnt matter,the oil will feed the lifter regardless.though it would have been nice to put them in the same as they came out,but,it really doesnt matter which way the oil hole gos

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

www.dropbox.com/s/frtflzsp1p3ce37/0906-uplander-Valve%20Lifter%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frtflzsp1p3ce37/0906-uplander-Valve%20Lifter%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know but when I removed them and set them out the way they came out they rolled on the table. I know I have them back in the correct holes but they are either just like they came out or turned 180 if they are turned I didn't know if that would cause issues such as galling on the cam because the roller would now be turning the opposite direction and may not be sitting on the cam the way it was worn togather
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't afford to lose an engine because of this mistake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is your opinion?

in my opinion...they do need to roll the same as they did before..because the cam already has the pattern

but as for the oil holes it doesnt matter

the only other thing you could do is install new lifters

in my off the record opinion,i think they will be fine sense these are roller..

there s no way of know if you have them 180deg off now or not sense they were moved,,but,i dont see that it would hurt anything

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will try to turn them per the wear marks on the sides, one more question which way does this engine normally rotate? Would it ensure me no problems if I installed a new set of lifters on the old cams? Or is it still rule of thumb not to replace them w/o replacing the cam?

the engine turns clock wise

the new lifters will work just fine with the old cams

again,off the record,i think the old lifters will be fine,,but if they worry you,all you can do is install new lifters

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for your help. This whole deal worries me but as you said there's know way to tell how they were, the only thing I know is there was more wear on the front side of the lifters than the rear so if it turns clockwise that makes sense as you would have more side thrust on the lifter as the cam opens the valve than you would have when the lifter comes off the lobe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I say front side meaning toward the front of vehicle

yes the front is the front of vehicle