Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2000 chevy blazer 4wheel drive that fuel pump works

Customer Question

i have a 2000 chevy blazer 4wheel drive that fuel pump works preasure is good but only way it will start is by spraying fuel stright in to the intake and will run just find as long as u are sprayin fuel manually any ideas
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. If you have fuel pressure and the car runs off of starter fluid that tells me the ECM is not injecting fuel. Is there any fault codes or security light flashing when cranking ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally to run on its own but while driving that fuel gauge will go crazy and it will shut off turn the key and will crank right back up run for a while and do it again
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like there is a communications fault. Is the gas gauge the only gauge that goes erratic ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't the headlights off and at night time with the key off and outta the ignition u can very lightly see some of the digital gear display and the security light flashes all the time
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok is there anything that was worked on right before this happened ? Or is there anything aftermarket installed in the car ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont know very much history about the vehicle the only aftermarket thing i can find on the vehicle is the cd player and only to speakers play i have only had it about 4 days now but these are the only problems i have found in it runs like a new sewing machine when it does run went out on limb getin it have a baby comin in 5 weeks just need it to be reliable for few months for new job got a lot of mouths to feed and only me working and this is the only car so give a list to check and I will let u know what come up with ans we can go from there
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will have to opt out at this point. This problem is not a common one for me and I don't want to waste any more of your time. My apologies. Another expert should be along soon to help.

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

lets start with the actual fuel pressure. what is the exact pressure key on, engine off???

what have replaced to this point???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the key in the on position engine off 70 psi on fuel pressure and I made no replacements only had it for five days now and the only aftermarket thing in the truck I can find is the radio
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, I see in your post that it will run on its own?? or will it only run on the starting fluid???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On its own now and this was and accidentally fixed still don't know how I done it the problem now is u will be driving and the fuel gauge will go crazy and it will shut off but start right back up and security light blinks all the time it will run like a new sewing machine until that guage goes crazy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok I attached a wiring diagram for you to see that the power feed to the injectors comes from ecm fuse 1. check for power to that fuse.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok the fuel gauge going crazy and the not running at times have one thin in common, the fuel pump module. there is a connector from the car body harness to the module that has big issues with corrosion and bad connections.

check the connector for any damage or corrosion

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The body mod was replaced a month before I got it so that might be the problem where is it located
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

no, bcm has no effect on the fuel system. it controls body functions not engine functions.

did you check the wiring diagram I sent to you

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

make sure you check all fuses with a test light for power

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all fuse with test light when I gi st stared this project all tested good I am at work get off at 5 as soon as I get home I will check the fuel mod and let u know
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the fuel pump mod and do I have too drop the tank to do it
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

to replace the module yes. it is too tall to remove in the truck.

the module contains the fuel pump and the sender unit.

Roy