Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 1987 chevy pickup truck that when i turn the key to

Customer Question

I have a 1987 chevy pickup truck that when i turn the key to the on position the pump's left or right run constantly. as soon as i turn the key switch to the crank position the pump stops.any idea? must be some connection,switch or relay . im stumped.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

the fuel pump runs all the time with the key on but doesnt run when the engine is turning?,,is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

from the way youn explain//it sounds as if you have one of two posible problems

1-the fuel pump relay

2-the ecm[engine computer itself]

the feul pump should only come on for 2 seconds when you first turn the key on,,then,run all the time the engine is turning

if the relay isnt sticking,then i think you will need to replace the ecm,,it is sending wrong signals to the relay

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.