Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2001 Chevrolet impala that has very poor radio

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Chevrolet impala that has very poor radio reception. I have replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket Kenwood using the correct harness adapters. I have also replaced the antenna module. I can only pickup about 5 fm stations and it does not seem to make a difference of the rear defroster is on or not. What could be causing the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the antennae wire is broken. If you use an alternate antennae wire to your new head unit does it work better? If so then we need to do some wire OHM testing.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually found a diagram that showed a junction in the antenna cable in the area of the hood release handle under the carpet. The connector had separated. Once that was reconnected, the problem was solved.

Super news.