Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

My 1994 Silverado 2WD with a 5.0 has 265,000 miles. About 9

Customer Question

my 1994 Silverado 2WD with a 5.0 has 265,000 miles. About 9 months ago it stopped idling fast and running like crap when it was cold. After warmed up it ran OK, still not great but OK. I had problems with the engine dying and traced it to the pick-up coil
on the distributor. Replaced distributor, ignition module, rotor, cap, plugs and wires. Timed it to 0 degrees TDC. Doesn't die anymore but still no change. There are no codes either. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

One common issue that I have seen cause this here is weak fuel pressure on this engine.On a cold start the engine needs max fuel pressure and if the pressure it just a little low it will cause idle issues and in some cases running issues as well.I have seen where the fuel pump can become weak and cause this here as well as the fuel pressure regulator allowing fuel pressure to leak back to the fuel tank.I have also in some cases seen restricted fuel filter cause this as well.If you have not had the fuel pressure tested this needs done.This requires an adapter that threads in place of the fuel filter so a pressure test gauge can thread into it.Your fuel pressure with key on and engine off needs to be between 9 and 13 psi and should hold for several minutes before dropping off.In some cases you can rent a fuel pressure test gauge and the adapter from a local parts store to check this.If this has already been checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.